Keeping track of WIPs



WIPs, or works in progress, we all have them. Personally I have a mountain of WIPs that need to be finished like yesterday! I am actually embarrassed with how many I have.


As a designer I have many different types of WIPs. I have the video and picture tutorials, remake of old patterns, new designs and personal WIPs. Sometimes it can be hard to track the progress of these. At the start of each week I set myself goals with each WIP I need to work on, but this tends to leave the remakes and personal WIPs left forgotten.

To make myself accountable, I have decided to make myself a WIP ledger. If you are unfamiliar with book keeping, a ledger lists all the income and expenses of the month and shows a balance. In this instance, the income represents finished WIPs, the expenses represents the new WIPs I started and the balance shows where I need to improve. If I have more new WIPs to finished WIPs I know I need to allocate more time to the current projects in progress. 

To help to keep track I have created 2 downloadable PDFs.

1. Project cards (2 per page) - This is where all the information of the pattern you are working on is kept, such as pattern name, the designer, size, hook, yarn used and even your progress.





2. WIP tracker (2 per page) - Each month, write down each WIP you work on, tick if you started or finished it. If it is still in progress at the end of the month, make sure to write it on the following months tracker so it does not sit idle. 





Free PDF download

Now for the show of shame, exactly how many WIPs I have.


Designs - Video and Picture tutorials

Carnival of flowers x 2

The Journey 

Lillie's Dream

Unconditional Love (yet to be released)

New designs in progress

Eva-lyn blanket

Eva-lyn cardigan

Tranquillity sweater

Old designs being reworked

Sassy Chic tee

Eves secret garden

Personal - my own designs

The Journey - extended version

Wrapped up in you blanket 

Compass blanket

Fragaria shawl

Mini Carnival of Flowers (thread)

Cloud 9

Personal - other designers

Vinnies sweater - Two brothers blankets 

Rosie tee - Two brothers blankets 

Vincent's gift - A Guy with a hook 

Shanti sweater - Heart hook home 

Bernard the bear - Bluebuggs designs 

Other personal

2022 temperature blanket

Scrappy waffle blanket

Scrappy granny square

Leg warmers for my daughter

Owl door stopper

Velvet cardigan

There are some other WIPs I have found, but will be rebirthed into something else. I even found a couple of abandoned designs, which I will decide if I will continue with them or repurpose the yarn for something else. 

Why do I have so many WIPs you ask? Honestly if I get bored, I find something else to make or it is the simple fact I have to be in the mood to work on something that is technical or mind numbing easy. Of course when I am working on a design, I set myself a deadline so I can send the pattern out to my testers.

The first Monday of each month I will be sharing my WIP progress with you all. I may start new WIPs, but I am determined to get most of these, if not all finished by the end of the year. 

Until May 2nd for my April report,

Happy crocheting,

Natasha




Comments