Rectangle Granny


Recently i made a blanket for my daughter. I didn't want a traditional granny square, as she is tall. So i decided to make a rectangle. Now there are plenty of patterns and charts out there for granny rectangles, but none were appealing to me. So i sat down and created my own. This is based on how i was taught the granny square by not chaining between clusters. This pattern is addictive.

Important notes
  • This pattern has step by step photos to help you along the way.
  • Pattern is written in US terms.
  • This pattern can be made in any weight yarn
  • Use the hook size that matches your yarn weight, for example dk/8ply/#3 yarn i use a 4mm hook and aran/10ply/#4 yarn i use a 5mm hook.
  • stitches used - double crochet (treble in UK), chain, slip stitch

Foundation: chain 25 (or a mutliple of 3+1)











Row 1:  In the 4th chain from the hook, make 2 double crochet, chain 2, 3 double crochet (first 3 chain counts as a stitch)













Skip 2 chain, 3 double crochet in next chain, repeat until you have 3 chain left.












In the last chain, make 3 double crochet, chain 2, 3 double crochet, chain 2, 3 double crochet. 












Now working the other side of the chain, skip 2 chain, 3 double crochet in next chain (same chain as the 3 double crochet cluster on the other side), repeat until you reach where you started























Make 3 double crochet, chain 2 in the same chain space where you started, slip stitch to top of chain 3.












Row 2: Turn your work, chain 2, 2 double crochet, chain 2, 3 double crochet in corner space, *3 double crochet in next spacerepeat * to * until you reach the next corner.












In the next corner make *3 double crochet, chain 2, 3 double crochet*. In the next corner space repeat * to *. continue around the side by making 3 double crochet in each space.












In last corner space make 3 double crochet, chain 2, 3 double crochet. slip stitch to top of chain 2.












Continue the pattern by turning with each row, making 3dc,ch2,3dc in each corner and 3dc in each space

** Turning your work ensures the blanket does not twist **

You can make your rectangle as big as you want. For my daughters blanket i completed 45 rows, and not adding a border so i can add onto it as she grows.

I made my daughters blanket out of Stylecraft special Aran in Emperor, Aspen, Lavender and cloud blue. You can get Stylecraft yarn from Wool Warehouse Deramores or Love Knitting

Hello Awin

Thank you for stopping by and i hope you enjoy my patterns.

Natasha
Buttonnose Crochet

Comments

  1. Thank you so much for this rectangle granny pattern! This one makes sense and I'm working on a Harry Potter throw now in Stylecraft Special DK claret and saffron.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi i love this pattern, have been trying all week to find a rectangle pattern.But when you say turn your work,what do you mean? Im a bit confused,do you mean keep turning around the corners or turn it back the way i started?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, thank you so much, I am making a baby blanket forbmy neighbour who's due in November

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing the pattern, this is perfect for all my leftover yarns (which I think would make me a little blanket), thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm planning on makiing 2 out of 3 sons a lap blanket 4 bdays.will let you know how they turned out. Ps. I'm from newark,ohio on a fixed income and was wondering if you or anyone reading this could help me get yarn from different places that are going to throw away.would be much appreciated. Name Dawn burge contact me on messager. If u can't find me go to Steven fadley he us one of 3 sons. Thank u and have a blessed and safe day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do I turn the work over or go back the way I started?

    ReplyDelete
  7. How do you mean turn your work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turn it over and go back the way you came with each row. If you don't you will have a line across the blanked where you started and ended each row

      Delete
  8. Heerlijk patroon voor bij de televisie. 😁

    ReplyDelete
  9. What where the measurements of this blanket and how much yards of yarn did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  10. ****Thank you thank you thank you *** I have been searching and experimenting various rec granny square blankies which only added to my confusion - your optics are wonderful and I think I may be able to successfully crochet a rectangle****

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment