Choosing colours

When deciding on colours for a project, it can be daunting, frustrating and stressful.

We seem to be drawn to certain colours because they make us happy, content or even excited. For Example, i like blue, purple, aqua and neutrals. These colours are soothing and relaxing to me.

But sometimes we are asked to make an item for someone in a colour we totally dislike. For me it is black (not that it is classed as a colour) and brights. These colours basically hurt my eyes (i have astigmatism in both eyes and i am night blind, so i don't usually work with dark colours)


When i asked on my giveaway post what your favourite colour was, there were so many different responses, and it prompted me to get my colour sticks out of my Stylecraft Special DK and have a play with combinations.

Below are 31 different combinations, that range from ombres, baby neutrals, autumn shades, summery shades, pastels and brights. I have kept the colour palettes to a maximum of 3 so there is room to add more if desired.


Modern Baby

Stormy skies

Paddlepop

Waiting for Autumn

Modern Baby 2

Pastel baby

Sunset

Rose Garden

Merry Christmas (sorry for not having white)

Lavender Bliss (sorry about the Emperor, it is a dark purple)

Pastel baby 2

Summer Days

Vintage Baby Boy

Vintage Baby Girl

Desert Sands

Deep as the Ocean

Blue Skies

Into the Night

Autumn Leaves

Bush Fire

Into the meadow

Pretty in Pink

Miss Petite

Baby girl

Autumn Garden

Purple Ombre

Blue Ombre

Sunrise

Summers Garden

By the sea

Seasons change 

Which colour combinations do you like best?

As you can see there are so many combinations, and i am sure we could add to this collection.

For me, choosing colours that go well together is a matter of inspiration from what is around me. If i am stuck i just get my Stylecraft colour sticks out and play with combinations until i am happy. A lot of the colour combinations above are purely inspired by nature.

So if you are trying to decide on colours for a project, why not choose one or more above. But i do recommend doing a test swatch in the pattern you are making, so you get an idea of how well the colours are going to look in your finished item.

I hope this post has helped you with choosing colours for your next project. Pop on over to my Facebook page and let me know what colour combinations you like best. You never know, I may even use your favourite in a new design.

Natasha
Buttonnose Crochet


Comments