2016 Temperature Blanket


Last year i decided i wanted to make a temperature blanket, and what a colourful blanket it turned out to be.

What is a temperature blanket you may ask? It is a blanket that can be knitted or crocheted reflecting the maximum or minimum temperatures for your area.

Before i started my blanket i had to decide on colours, degree increments and a pattern. 

I decided i would do the maximum temperatures for my town, Dalby, Australia, After doing some research i decided i would create my temperature range from 9℃ to 36+℃ and i would use 10 colours in 3℃ increments.


I used Stylecraft special Aran in the above colours. (burgundy, raspberry, camel, aspen. teal, denim, aster, cloud blue, lavender and silver)

Next i had to decide on a pattern. I wanted something quick and easy as i work 60hrs a week at my paid job. I knew i didn't have the time to do a row a day with a single crochet blanket, so i decided i would make granny squares. My squares would consist of 7 rounds, 1 round per day. My blanket is a large lap blanket, so big enough to snuggle under.

We have a very hot, long summer here where i am and we don't get snow, only frost, so i knew that i would have alot of raspberry, camel and denim in my blanket. These colours give my blanket a vintage feel to it.

To keep track of the temperatures i used a weather app on my phone, but you can use your personal thermometer at home or a weather website, whatever is easier.

My blanket is made up of 48 granny squares, ranging from January 1st to December 1st. Even though i only made 48 weeks of the year i am very happy with how the blanket turned out. I am still adding the border to this blanket, but since it has been so hot these past few weeks the border will have to wait until winter. I will add an updated picture once i have completed the border.

So if you want to make a temperature blanket, you can follow these few simple steps i followed:
  1. Are you wanting a blanket with minimum or maximum temperatures?
  2. Pick your colours - as many as you like
  3. Decide on your degree increment, the smaller the increment the more colourful your blanket will be
  4. Decide on a pattern. Be realistic, if you know you don't have lots of time spare, pick an easy and fast pattern.
  5. Keep note of the temperature of the day in a diary. You can use the temperature at noon, or use the weather app like i did for the daily temp.
  6. Sew in ends as you go. 
I really do hope these few easy steps help you if your making a temperature blanket for this year. I am planning another temperature blanket next year, but in minimum temperatures using Stylecraft yarns again but in a different pattern.

If you do make a temperature blanket for this year, i would love to see your progress.

Until next time,

Natasha
Buttonnose Crochet





Comments